What is the Gloucester House Outreach Service?
Gloucester House Outreach Service is a unique service, offering skills and experience in both mental health and education. While attached to Gloucester House, it is a standalone service that can be purchased by local authorities or schools. The aim is to support children with social, emotional and mental health needs to remain in mainstream schools. Our service works with children, families and the professional network around the child – for example schools, CAMHS and children’s services.
We can offer:
- Multi-disciplinary assessment of mental health and educational need for children with complex social, emotional and mental health needs
- Multi-disciplinary education and clinical interventions for children, schools, families and networks which are tailored to specific needs
- Staff training and consultation – face to face and by phone
- Support to professional and informal networks and the collaborative coordination of complex networks to achieve coherent and effective care plans
- Support to plan interventions and sharing resources and interventions that have been used at Gloucester House to build child’s cognitive ability and build strategies to manage her feelings and relationships with others.
- Liaison and linking with the network to facilitate joint thinking and improved collaborative working between health and education.
Strengths of the model:
- We are able to offer support through our role as outside objective observer. This allows us the benefit of being in a unique position of offering systemic consultation to the whole system, drawing on our extensive knowledge in child mental health and education.
- Schools can access specialist input from staff with vast experience of working with children with similar needs and presentations.
How we work
- Initial exploratory meeting
- Core intervention involves a combination of:
- Exploratory meetings
- Network meetings
- Meetings with key contacts
- Therapeutic/other sessions
- Team discussion, report write-up, follow-up phone calls.
This may lead to subsequent Capacity building or Specialist clinical or Intensive specialist packages depending on identified need.
What people say about us?
- Our clients say we are “deeply caring”, “extremely responsive” and offer “a range of areas of expertise”.
- “Highly responsive service which adapts packages to meet the presenting needs.”
- “I like that the team can be a ‘neutral observer’ and be non-judgemental in their approach.”
- One school reported being “more able to tolerate and manage destructive behaviour. No longer isolating the child, which may have reactivated previous traumatic experiences of neglect.”
- Our school was “supported to maintain boundaries whilst responding to behaviour.”
Find out more about working with us:
Contact: Nimisha Deakin, Clinical Nurse Specialist, 0208 938 2063
Gloucester House Outreach enquiries: Ghoutreach@Tavi-Port.nhs.uk